The Oklahoma State School Boards Association, a statewide nonprofit organization representing locally elected school board members, is seeking an assistant for our legal department.
Under moderate supervision provide word processing and general clerical support to both Policy Services and Employment Services in the legal department.
- High school diploma or GED
- Knowledge of general office procedures
- Proficient keyboarding and file maintenance skills
- Ability to use software to develop spreadsheets and databases, and do word processing
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks often changing assignment on short notice with some direction
- Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- At least two (2) years clerical experience
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Records, Reports, and Correspondence
- Provide clerical support including word processing, data entry, and review of draft policies for members of OSSBA Policy Services.
- Process changes to draft policies as directed by legal staff.
- Prepare progress schedule, drafts and customized manuals for school districts contracting for customization service.
- Prepare and maintain information for school districts that subscribe to Policy Services and Employment Services.
- Receive and process mail directed to OSSBA Employment Services.
- Assist OSSBA Employment Services with the processing of unemployment claims and maintenance of claim files.
- Assist OSSBA Employment Services with the review and processing of yearly and quarterly statements.
- Maintain fax machine and OSSBA Employment Services supplies.
Reception and Phones
- Receive incoming calls, take reliable messages, and route to appropriate staff.
- Respond to phone calls and emails requesting a policy or policies in a timely manner.
- Maintain confidentiality of records.
- Follow OSSBA policies and protocols.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals
Posture: Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Repetitive hand motions; frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
Lifting: Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 50 pounds)
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress
OSSBA uses an online application management system. To begin the application process, click here. Follow the instructions to create a new account and disregard any sections/questions that aren’t applicable (certifications and questions related to school district size, enrollment, etc.). You will be asked to upload a letter of interest, resume and reference list.
The position will remain open until filled.
For questions about the position, contact OSSBA Deputy Executive Director and General Counsel Julie Miller at 405.528.3571 or via email.
For questions about the application process, contact OSSBA Communications Director Christy Watson at 405.528.3571 or via email.