About Norman Public Schools
Nestled in the heart of a world-class academic community, the Norman Public School District is the eighth-largest in Oklahoma. The district, which is located near the University of Oklahoma, has earned a reputation for academic excellence, robust fine arts programs, first-rate athletic teams and providing opportunities for all students to reach their full potential.
Norman Public Schools provides exemplary education for students through consistent curriculum, innovative partnerships and rigorous professional development for educators. The district has repeatedly been recognized for academic excellence in Newsweek, the Washington Post, U.S. News & World Report and more. For additional information visit www.norman.k12.ok.us, read the 2016 Annual Report or click here to watch a highlight video.
Norman Public Schools offer:
- Freshman Academies
- College and Career Centers
- Unique Advanced Placement programs
- Hands-on STEM enrichment opportunities
- Robust Fine Arts programs at every grade level
- 6A Athletics for middle and high school students
- Competitive academic clubs, after-school programs and activities
- Special education programs that maximize opportunities for students
- Robust community partnerships that allow educators to serve the whole child
Building for the Future
Norman residents continue to support public education and invest in projects that enhance students’ learning environments. Since 2008, voters have approved $235 million in bond funds for capital improvements, instructional enhancements and technology upgrades. The most recent bond issue provided funding for more than 40 projects throughout the district, including the creation of Freshman Academies and College and Career Centers at both high schools.
Mission and Core Values
At Norman Public Schools, our mission is “to prepare and inspire all students to achieve their full potential” and our core values drive every interaction we have. We value:
- Integrity – Integrity is the cornerstone of everything we do.
- Inclusiveness – We positively affirm the unique identity of every individual.
- Collaboration – We collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to maximize our shared knowledge and resources to bring greater value to our students, staff and stakeholders.
- Optimism – We aspire to maintain a positive attitude and expect the best possible outcome in every situation.
Strategic Focus Areas
The district has embarked on a long-term, strategic planning process that aims to:
- Maximize the budget
- Improve personalized learning
- Increase strategic community partnerships
- Improve College and Career Readiness programs
- Improve hiring, sourcing and career development
- Improve communications with key stakeholders
- ACT scores outrank state and national averages
- Multiple recognitions for academic excellence by The Washington Post, Newsweek and U.S. News & World Report
- 110 National Merit Scholar Finalists, 32 Academic All-State Students and more than 1,000 Advanced Placement Scholars since 2008
- 2016 Oklahoma Teacher of the Year, who was also one of four finalists for national title
- Regularly receive state and national recognition for band, orchestra, drama, speech and debate programs
- Hundreds of students selected to compete at the prestigious Oklahoma Arts Institute
- Countless state championship titles in athletics – in many cases for academics as well – proving that our student athletes excel in the classroom
- Accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
Community Partnerships Power Progress
- Norman Public School Foundation
- The Norman Public School Foundation has awarded $1.7 million in teacher grants to enhance educational programs, boost instructional technology and provide additional learning materials.
- University of Oklahoma
- Innovative partnerships with the University of Oklahoma have allowed us to offer a variety of educational experiences for students and enhance, secure and maintain the district’s data center.
- Norman Regional Health System
- Moore Norman Technology Center
- Through a partnership with Moore Norman Technology Center, the district offers pre-engineering courses, concurrent enrollment, dropout-prevention programs and more.
- Early Childhood Education
- Norman Public Schools offer a variety of early childhood education opportunities, including Pre-Kindergarten for families seeking both full- and half-day programs. These programs are made possible through partnerships with local nonprofit organizations and faith-based institutions.
- Embassy Suites by Hilton
- Students with disabilities have an opportunity to train for a rewarding career through Project SEARCH Academy, which is possible through a partnership with the Embassy Suites by Hilton in Norman.
- Norman Police Department
- Partners in Education
- Facilitated by the Norman Chamber of Commerce, the Partners in Education program matches local businesses with area schools to provide volunteers and mentors to benefit students.
Applications will be accepted for this position until February 3, 2017. Candidates selected to interview will be notified by email or phone. Interviews will be held in February and March, with the hopes of naming a superintendent in March or April 2017. This timeline is subject to change at the discretion of the Board.