The Oklahoma State School Boards Association is the voice of school board members at the Capitol. OSSBA initiates and encourages legislation to benefit Oklahoma’s public school students. OSSBA also provides policy and legislation-related information to school board members so that they may informed and effective advocates on behalf of their school district’s students at the Capitol and in their local communities.
Rooney Virgin is OSSBA’s Director of Government Affairs and represents OSSBA members at the state Capitol. She sends out a weekly legislative update during the legislative session and action alerts as needed. To receive legislative action alerts via text message, text @ossb to 81010.
OSSBA wants to make it easy for you to be in the know regarding education issues. Be sure to check out the following resources:
Oklahoma Education Facts
Contact Your Legislator
OSSBA Advocacy Toolkit
OSSBA 2020 TARGET LEGISLATIVE GOALS
- Build on the progress of investing in our public schools through a long-term funding plan to bring state per-student expenditures to the regional average, equipping schools with the tools and resources to improve student achievement and produce college and career-ready students.
- Create a long-term funding plan for career and technology centers to ensure expanded educational opportunities for every student.
- Support equitable reporting and accountability mechanisms for all educational institutions that receive taxpayer dollars and/or benefit directly or indirectly from tax incentives.
- Work with the state Department of Education to ensure the accountability system includes multiple researched-based indicators of student growth and school effectiveness.
- Create and fund the Oklahoma Aerospace Technology Center to create employment opportunities for Oklahoma students and meet the workforce needs of the aerospace and defense industries.
For the People Working Groups
- Study and make recommendations for funding virtual education for all schools.
- Examine ways to reduce the teacher shortage crisis, including but not limited to the pathways to teacher certification.
- Study and recommend capital improvement funding mechanisms to ensure equitable facilities and infrastructure for all Oklahoma students.
- Ensure the United States Department of Education rules and regulations retain flexibility and local control provided for under the Every Student Succeeds Act.
- Protect federal funding for education.
- Advocate for funding the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) at 40% of special education costs.
Download a PDF of OSSBA’s 2020 Target Legislative Goals
Download a PDF of OSSBA’s Long-Term Legislative Goals
Download a PDF of OSSBA’s Position Statements
See the 2019 OSSBA Legislative Review here.
The OSSBA Legislative Goals make the OSSBA’s Legislative Agenda for the upcoming year and also set the OSSBA policy. These goals and statements are voted on during our annual summer conference at Delegate Assembly by school board members. These particular goals and statements were adopted on August 24, 2019. These goals are formed using submissions made by school board members to the Government Relations Committee of the OSSBA, who then present them at Delegate Assembly for adoption. These statements and goals serve as a reference for you as a school board member to know what OSSBA stands for, as well as serves as a roadmap for your OSSBA staff in their work every day for school boards at the OSSBA.